For 18 years now, I have been an expat and I still don´t know the answer to this question.
Why did I one day choose this life?
I don´t remember getting up one morning and standing in front of the mirror and saying: “Ok, today, you become an expat!”
I didn´t plan for months in advance.
And I don´t recall ever thinking: “When I am older, I will travel, live abroad and raise kids who speak English better than me!”
It just … happened. And it still does!
Fortunately, other people looked for the answer! 😏
- The foreign assignee: ” I was sent here by my employer”
- The career expat: “I found a job here on my own”
- The foreign Recruitee: “I was recruited by a local employer”
- The (ex-) student: “I moved here in order to go to school or uni”
- The travelling spouse: “I moved for my partner’s job” …THAT´S ME!!! 😂
- The romantic: “I moved for love”
- The family expat: “I moved for family reasons”
- The “single destination” expat: “I wanted to live in this particular country and I found a job here on my own”
- The “greener pastures” expat: “I move for a better quality of life and I simply enjoy living abroad”
- The Globetrotter: “I love travelling and simply enjoy living abroad”
When I am reading this now and I look back on the last 18 years, I guess I started as a Romantic, who transformed into a Travelling spouse and is now a Globetrotter !😁
If you were to become an expat, what would be your “Why”?
If you are an expat, what was your “Why” at first?
Sincerely, Lyvy 🙂